Saturday 26 March 2011

Day 21 Fremantle

Today we decided to explore Fremantle.  We found it very easy to get there and was amazed at the size of the port and the large ships that were there.  First stop was the E Shed Markets at the wharf where we had a browse and Peter bought a new wallet and I bought a new hat (Peter calls me the Imelda Marcos of hats as I am always trying to find one that doesn't give me "hat hair" - I don't think there is such a hat!).  The one I bought is reversible, patterned on one side and purple on the other.  If any of you know Irma Bombeck's poem about the purple hat you will understand why I like them.
The E Shed Markets at Fremantle Wharf

Next we went to the Maritime Museum, also at the wharf.  It is a very modern building and has lots of interesting exhibits including Australia II of the wing keeled hull which won the America's Cup.  Peter also did a tour of a submarine which is outside in the grounds and really enjoyed it.  While he did that I had a coffee in the coffee ship which has fabulous views of the wharf so I was able to watch the ships coming and going.  I didn't realise that the windows in the coffee shop are a bit tinted so these pictures have a blue tint.

The Maritime Museum
The submarine that Peter toured

We couldn't get over how busy it was in Fremantle, the traffic was bumper to bumper.  There was a Chilli Festival in the park (a bit like Canberra's Wine and Food Frolic) so there was a lot of people around. 

The Chilli Festival

Fremantle has a great free bus called the CAT bus which takes you around the shops and the suburbs.  They run evey 10 minutes and you can get on and off wherever you please.  We did a lap on one of them and got to see a lot of the very old buildings and one street (I think it was South Street) which seemed to be all coffee shops and cafes.  A bit like Lygon Street in Melbourne with all the restaurants.  There was lots of live music too which really added to the atmosphere.

Some of the old buildings
The old P&O Building

That's it for now.

cheers
Pete and Roz

No comments:

Post a Comment